Friday, May 18, 2018

My Move to Whitewater, Wisconsin Pt. 1

Background info:
Whitewater is a town located in Walworth (mostly) and Jefferson county in the U.S State of Wisconsin. Whitewater is the home of the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. As of the 2016 census the population is 14,517. Whitewater was founded at the confluence of Whitewater Creek and Spring Brook, and named for the white sands in their beds. Whitewater was a New England Settlement. The original founders of Whitewater consisted entirely of settlers from New England. Whitewater has a council-management form of government, meaning its much like a publicly traded corporation, also meaning that under the form an elected governing body, usually a called council, board of aldermen, or similar title, is responsible for legislative functions such as establishing policy, passing local ordinances, voting appropriations, and developing an overall vision, similar to a corporate board of directors.
(Source: Wikipedia)

Now that we got all that boring background info out the way lol let's get into why I moved to Whitewater Wisconsin and how my experience of living out there was.

Majority of the time when people asked me why I decided to move from NY to WI I answered with "I didn't have a choice", now I say I didn't' have a choice because to me I kind of felt like I didn't. I was living with family (grandma, 2 cousins, uncle, aunt, dog, and myself) in NJ (yes I know why am I saying NY when I lived in NJ, I was born & raised in NY and even though I lived in NJ, NY is home and I also was commuting back & fourth for work) and before the move my uncle was splitting up with his wife (aunt through marriage) so everyone was basically moving out the house we were in, now usually I would just move wherever my grandma was moving but this time she kept saying how she wanted to live alone and so she gave me a deadline of a month to find my own place. For those who lived in NY or currently living in NY or even know of NY, you know how hard and expensive it can be nowadays to get your own apartment. I didn't have all the money and I definitely couldn't find an apartment, I was searching high & low even my father was helping me (before you ask, no I couldn't stay with my father because of other reasons) but unfortunetly I couldn't find anything so because I had family out in WI I decided "hey, why not", so I spoke to my father about it and because of the situation he was in we both decided to go for it. It was so last minute like we left the next week (this happened in December 2016). I told my job, my friends, and that was it we were gone.

My father and I took a bus out there which was hell omg! 24hr bus ride and remember we left in December so while traveling out there we drove into a blizzard out in Buffalo NY. I'm telling you my legs hurt and I got a butt sore smh never again will I travel by bus for that long. My father and I moved in with my mom and siblings. Little info, me and my mother don't have the greatest bond meaning I met her for the first time when I was 16 years old and the day we moved in was the second time going out there, now bonding with my fam was the second reason why I chose WI. The beginning of the move was nice, my father and I got a job within a week of being out there. My father and I both got a factory job (yes I said factory job) working at a place called Generac building generators, my father soon after got laid off but then got another job, me on the other hand I stayed with them for almost a year. It was a nice experience, different and exhausting but nice. I learned how to build a generator and test them. I'll insert a picture of what I was building down below. After a couple months my father and I brought a car, then problems started happening family wise and soon after my father and I got our own apartment. The town of Whitewater is nice, the scenery is beautiful, they have nice trail parks like this one I went to all the time called Nature land. We basically lived in the country, there were farms and open land everywhere so yea it was beautiful and at night omg! the stars were so bright (sorry don't have pictures of that). I do have pictures of Nature land and other areas so I will of course insert them below for you guys to see. Other places I visited within WI was Lake Geneva, Madison, Milwaukee, Fort Atkinson, Janesville, and Jefferson. Places I visited outside WI was Chicago, Illinois, and Missouri. I've been to the Six Flags in Chicago, Elkhorn County Fair, and a Milwaukee Brewers Baseball Game (it was a job outing with Generac).

(Image Source: Amazon)
This is exactly what I built and tested. I was on an assembly line but because I was so good and no I'm not being sarcastic or anything I really was that good, they moved me around so I learned it all, building, testing, and even taking it all apart replacing parts and rebuilding it.


Six Flags in Chicago (taken on phone)

Milwaukee Brewers Game (taken on phone)


Elkhorn County Fair (screen shot from a video I took on snapchat)

Ok so I realized that this post is fairly long and I'm not done with my story yet so I'm going to break it into two parts so stay tuned for pt. 2. Hope you enjoyed reading, have a good day :)




No comments:

Post a Comment